Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sunny day

So far, the actual weather belies the forecast.  I think the weather service loves to feed people's primal fear of the change of seasons.  The last couple of days, the chance of light snow has dominated the weather discussion.  Of course, Denver went from 80 degrees to 8 inches of snow in 48 hours, so that plays into the foreboding forecasts.  Meanwhile, the constant incremental rainfall keeps me from planting the fall garlic crop.  If we don't get any rain through Sunday, I may be able to start, but at this point, I'll have to try, regardless.  Couldn't buy a raindrop all summer, now we can't shut the tap.  Still no killing frost.  The galinsoga was touched the other night, but the zinnias still look cheerful.  Unfortunately, I think Friday night may do it for all the tender crops.  Mid to upper 20s are forecast and by October 28, even I can see that handwriting on the wall.  The guys with corn and soybeans still in the fields are probably hoping for a hard freeze so they can get their equipment into the soggy fields. 

No comments:

Post a Comment