Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Modern foodlike substances

I bought a bag of kettle cooked "Tomato Parmesan" potato chips the other day.  Being somewhat ravenous, I ate most of the bag and liked the taste, to the amazement of the Divine Mrs. M.  I eventually bought another bag and was eating some last night when I decided to read the ingredients.  Big mistake.  I got as far as "tomato like flavors" and gave up.  I have no idea how the word parmesan was even allowed on the label, as there was no mention of real cheese on the label besides a fleeting reference to cheddar.  WTF!  Of course this was not some artisan chip maker, but Frito-Lay.  I should not have been surprised, but I did expect some real tomato and real parmesan to be involved in the production.  The labeling laws are obviously not working for consumers, unless you are willing to spend time reading the ingredients listed on the package; a somewhat time consuming experience. The modern American food experience has morphed into more or less continuous introductions of what one food writer refers to as "foodlike substances". This ersatz food makes up a larger and larger portion of what we eat on a daily basis.  The solution is to stay away from processed foods.  Unfortunately, unless you are willing to devote a much larger portion of your income and leisure time to this endeavor, it is a difficult proposition.  One thing for sure, Frito-Lay will not be selling me anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment