Thursday, September 24, 2015

Yogi and a Yankee childhood

Growing up in the late 50s and early 60s there was really only one team to root for if you were a baseball fan.  The Giants and Dodgers had absconded with the hearts of many, but thanks to my grandfather I was a Yankee, through and through.  Probably more than any other player on the team, Yogi was the exemplary Yankee.  His grit and talent (and his way with words) kept me glued to the radio as a 9 and 10 year old.  I idolized Mickey Mantle, but if I had to pick a Yankee to go to bat in a clutch situation, it was Berra.  He would swing at and hit anything from his ankles to his forehead and more often than not it would lead to a hit and a victory.  With 10 world series titles, Yogi spanned an unmatched era of greatness.  Later as a manager, he brought the Yankees and the Mets to the World Series.  My grandfather liked the Yankees because of the Italians on the team, from Tony Lazzeri to Phil Rizzuto to Berra.  Small in stature, Yogi had a big heart and will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment