Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Popemania

As a fallen away Catholic who hasn't been engaged in the faith for nearly 50 years, the 24/7 coverage of Francis' visit to the US is somewhat mind boggling.  The thought of so many people gathering at great expense and discomfort to see an elderly Jesuit makes me even less tolerant of my fellow human beings foibles.  Americans love of celebrity is puzzling.   We profess an egalitarian ethic, but we worship at the altar of celebrity.  Whether it's movie stars, British royalty or the Pope, we gather for a glimpse of the extraordinary.  Personally, I think Francis is a breath of fresh air in a stodgy, behind the times church and I wish him well.  But I'll be humming John Lennon's classic, "Imagine" for the duration of his visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment