Monday, August 10, 2020

Gardening in the Dog days of Summer

       I knew it was going to be that kind of weekend when I started sweating 10 minutes after I started harvesting for my CSA on Saturday morning.   Things didn't get better from that point.  The sun was relentless and Wednesday's 3 inches of rain already seemed like a distant memory as I slogged through a long day of harvesting, transplanting and weed control.   Sunday was a little better, but I had to neglect the garden in favor of mowing my newly revived lawns.  The crabgrass was especially lush.

     The garden has experienced more than its fair share of ups and downs this year.  The dry weather up until last week's deluge courtesy of tropical storm Isais set the tone and despite the heavy soil in most of my gardens germination was a continuing problem.  If I continue to do large scale gardening in the future, I will definitely invest in drip irrigation.  With climate change, the unpredictability of seasonal weather is going to be a major problem for gardeners and commercial growers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment