Friday, May 19, 2017

Adventures in Gardening

In a display of outlandish optimism, I continue to plant in the garden, despite the long range forecast.  Most of my garden is composed of heavy clay soil which in a dry year gives many advantages, but in the present conditions is a handicap.  Ever since the ground thawed in early April it has remained cool and rainy.   This has prevented the majority of the garden from drying properly.  Several days of warm windy weather have helped, but the forecast for next week is for the cold and rain to return.  As I run out of dry areas to plant I face the very real possibility of having to abandon seedlings in the cold frames and miss the early plantings of warm weather crops like squash and corn.  This situation occurred several years ago and I had to wait until July to plant many crops.  Fortunately a long mild fall helped that year.  I guess we'll continue on for the moment.  I call it "Adventures in Gardening"...

No comments:

Post a Comment