Tuesday, January 31, 2017

When we were young

As a young man who came of age in the late 60s and early 70s, I never spared a thought for the survival of democracy in the US.  Seeing the power of the anti-war movement and the transformative spectacle that was Woodstock, I felt I was growing up with a like minded generation of reformers who would strengthen our system of government.  As I got older, married the Divine Mrs. M. and started raising a family, we lived through the Reagan years with some trepidation.  The battle lines were being drawn with progressives and social democrats on one side and conservatives and the remnants of the old "Solid South" on the other.  Still, we all spoke of the institutions of government with reverence, although Reagan first began to identify government as a problem, not a solution.  Fast forward to the GOP "contract with America" under the guidance of the odious Newt Gingrich.  He poured out his vitriol on anyone who disagreed with him and actually shut the government down in a fit of pique.  Add to that the relentless pursuit of the Clintons with a succession of phony scandals which also hurt the reputation of government.  This was followed by the Bush years and their embrace of an alternate reality and government lying to the people.  Obama followed and experienced the relentless opposition of republicans for every legislative gambit.  This further eroded our faith in government as a force for good.  We have finally arrived at the logical end with The Donald and his henchmen in charge.  The point I have been trying to make is that the government institutions I felt were immutable and broadly supported by my fellow citizens have now been reduced to impotence in the face of a movement which has made it clear they have no use for democracy.  I never believed that jackboots would be on the march in 21st century America.  I'm not so sure I don't hear them now and I think the people who will willingly pull on those boots don't share the same belief system with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment