Thursday, March 22, 2012

Local vs. organic

A new study, doubtless financed by someone with a preordained conclusion says that Americans prefer locally produced fresh fruits and veggies over organic.  I'm sure you could slant the questions to get this result, but I also think, especially in a down economy that price has a much more important role than either origin or organic bona fides.  I know if I can buy local spinach for $2.00/lb. and organic for $4.00, it is a no brainer.  However, if my local apples are $1.99/lb and organic is $2.09, I might choose the organic as a show of support for sustainable agriculture.  This may seem to be a Mitt Romney type flip-flop, but consumers make such judgements all the time.  Personally, as an avid gardener I am somewhat turned off by the sanctimonious tone of the organic movement with its emphasis on total purity.  My grandfather farmed for many years using some of the most toxic pesticides known to man, but he did not use them lightly.  I would never use those materials, but if I were a commercial grower and my crop was about to be overcome by insects or disease, I don't know if I would retain my organic certification in the face of economic destruction.  I grow my garden as organically as possible, but my customers at the farmer's market don't insist on the formal designation.  They would prefer fresh  unblemished produce grown by someone they know than some Earthbound stuff that has probably been in three different warehouses and traveled 3000 miles before hitting the shelf at the local co-op.  That's all I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment