Friday, April 21, 2017

The Handmaid's and other morality tales

I admit I have never read "The Handmaid's Tale", nor will I watch the dramatization of the novel on Hulu.  I have read many summaries of Margaret Atwood's story of the ultimate triumph of the patriarchy in the Republic of Gilead.  Obviously, this is Mike Pence's wet dream of the subjugation of more than half the human beings on earth.  The breathless reviews by many media outlets would have you believe we are more than halfway there in the era of Trump.  As the father of three feisty latter day feminists, I would disagree with the consensus we are heading for a patriarchal dystopia.  My daughters were taught by a strong woman to stand up for themselves and never let their dignity as women and human beings be questioned.  Any men who encounter these ladies had best be cognizant of their views on the equality of the sexes.  There are millions of other women in this country who feel the same way.  Those who would attempt to take us to Gilead would be served by remembering this.

No comments:

Post a Comment