Friday, December 2, 2011

To market to market

Once again, the farmer strikes.  I deliver commodity A to a receiver who tells me he can buy the exact same commodity one bag at a time from another receiver on the same market for the same price I am charging.  The same grower demands an FOB price which precludes my making a profit and at the same time consigns product.  The result is he loses and I lose.  But the farmer feels good somehow because he is dealing directly with the customer and cutting out the parasitic middleman.  I know this sounds self serving, but the broker acts as a buffer between the farmer and the wholesaler, using knowledge of the markets to maximize the return to the grower while providing a fair price to the market.  I have been struggling to make sense of the grower's folly for over 25 years and to this day it still makes no sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment