Thursday, September 9, 2021

Baseball history

      I grew up a dyed in the pinstripe blue of Yankee lore.   My grandfather was proud of Italian-Americans like Tony Lazzeri, Yogi Berra and Phil Rizzuto.  I grew up idolizing Mickey Mantle and the players on the great teams of the 50s and early 60s.   I suffered through the late  60s and early 70s .   

     I remember my eldest daughter's crush on a rookie Yankee shortstop in 1995.  She would watch games just to get a glimpse of #2 as he batted and played the field.  I was ambivalent about Derek Jeter, telling her he would have to put up some awesome numbers to be mentioned in the same breath with Mantle, Gehrig and Ruth.   

    Yesterday, Alicia's intuition regarding Jeter was validated as he was inducted into the  Hall of Fame in Cooperstown along with Larry Walker, Ted Simmons and Marvin Miller.   Jeter was a first ballot hall of famer who was the first choice of all but one voter from the baseball writers of America.  His valedictory address was of a piece with his career; an impeccable summation of a career for the ages.   He may not have been the greatest defensive shortstop of his era, but he was the heart and soul of five Yankee championship teams.   I stand corrected Alicia.

No comments:

Post a Comment