Friday, August 10, 2018

Saying it Loud

As a teenager, I remember the slogan " Say it out loud, I'm black and I'm proud".  It was a little discomfiting to someone who spent his first 12 years in an all white bubble.  I had only seen black people as farm laborers who seemed polite but distant or the one black boy in my Catholic school 2nd grade class.  He was a subject of ridicule by the nun who ran our  class with an iron fist.  He didn't make it through the school year and left under mysterious (to a 2nd grader) circumstances.  It never occurred to me  until many years later the nuns at our school were probably racist.  So, now the shoe is on the other foot.  Laura Ingraham is barely disguising her dog whistle.  She might as well say it our loud, she's white and she's proud!  I would have to say it's a lot easier to say that in a country where you are still the majority and control all the levers of power than it was for the Black Panthers in 1970s America.  Ingraham needs to be reviled for the racist she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment