Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Clinton and Sanders

One of my daughters asked me the other day how I can support Hillary when Bernie is a much more progressive choice.  It made me think about the dynamics of the campaign so far.  When Bernie jumped in and announced his candidacy, I was feeling the Bern and even attended an early rally here on the NCR.  It was mostly younger people with a sprinkling of middle aged and elderly "granola" type former hippies.  It reminded me of the types who supported George McGovern in 1972.  The difference for me was Bernie was promising a revolution.  As the campaign has worn on, however, the same stump speech is starting to get stale.  I need specifics about how the "revolution" is going to take place.  Meanwhile, more and more states are passing laws hindering the voting rights of the very people who will need to turn out for Bernie in the general election.  I saw the youth of my time work for McGovern and then not turn out when the election was on the line.  If kids wouldn't turn out to end the Vietnam war, how can we expect them to do so in the name of ending inequality.  This isn't 1789!  Meanwhile, Hillary may not be the best speaker in the world, but she is doggedly persistent and has a policy wonk's grasp of the issues.  She may not be the best first woman candidate for the presidency, but she's the best we have right now and it could be a generation before another woman with the right stuff gets the chance.  I guess it comes down to my belief that it's time for the distaff side to win and my wariness of Bernie's optimistic views translating to actual policy.  It's a tepid endorsement, but that's what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment