Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Foods and comfort

I was finally able to plant the 100 strawberry plants which have been languishing in the refrigerator for the last 2 weeks.  The soil was dry enough to work and with the threat of heavy rain for the next couple of days, the incentive was great.  Along with the 100 I planted last spring, I'm well on my way to being the strawberry king of  Lapham Mills Rd.  The revised forecast for the weekend promises more dry weather, so perhaps I'll be able to catch up on garden and yard chores.  
An interesting piece in the NYT by Marc Bittman draws on his recollection of the comfort food of his youth and cravings for such undistinguished foods as bagels, cream cheese and lox.  In my own youth, I can't recall a single food which triggers a nostalgic longing.  Rather it is a recollection of the totality of my mother's cooking which makes me remember those days.  For my own girls, I think the yearly ritual of tomato sauce preparation in August and September and the mid-winter spaghetti dinners this engendered which will be their lasting culinary link to the past.  Bittman laments the foodlike substances which many children of today will come to crave as the comfort foods of their youth.   Dunkin Donuts and Big Macs....ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment