Friday, November 1, 2013

Musical evolution

Thanks to the miracle of satellite radio, I can shuttle among several formats on my drive to the office each day.  Today, the Nice Polite Republicans on NPR were annoying me with their apologetic coverage of national affairs.  It seems almost every development in Congress is an opportunity for republicans and a disaster for democrats.  The sophomoric host of this morning's obfuscation, Steve Innskeep was cheerleading a little too loudly, so I switched to the music channels.   I usually listen to 60s and 70s pop, but I decided to check  the channel which replays the hits of the 2000s.  First up was a reminder of why I listen to the 60s., Smash Mouth singing "hey now you're an all star".  My oldest daughter was a senior in high school when this was a a hit.  I switched back to the 70s and a hit from 1970, "Everything is Beautiful"  was playing. I was a freshman in college at that time..   What a difference in sentiment.  That song could have been playing in 1950, 1960 or 1970.  It would never be a hit now.  I'm sure every generation says this, but if the music we listen to shapes our world view, we are in big trouble now.

No comments:

Post a Comment