Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Rainy Respite

Once again into the breech, I came out last evening firing at the flea beetles and the weeds.  A little spinosad for the beetles, and dose of cold steel for the weeds.  Also planted another patch of spinach with the new seeder.  At $500.00, I am determined to make this Jang clean seeder work.  It is fairly simple, but there is a learning curve, and I have been behind it during the early part of the season.  The seeder depends on a system of spockets to speed up or slow down the seed rollers which drop the seeds into the furrow.  It is much more sophisticated than the old earthway models and it has the potential to save on expensive seed and cut the amount of thinning necessary after germination.  I keep trying and I think the latest combination is getting closer to the ideal.  We got a shower overnight which should get the spinach germinating.  The sooner I see the evidence, the better I will feel about the wasted time and effort so far this spring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment