Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Reflections

As I told one pre-emptive well wisher yesterday, I long ago stopped eagerly anticipating birthdays and have rarely reflected on the changes in body and mind which have occurred over the years.  For the most part I have welcomed the accumulation of years with the insouciance of youth.  For some reason I somehow felt I would avoid the aches and pains of the aging process and maintain the same level of performance at 66 as I did at 36.  Needless to say I have had a rude education regarding the effects of anno domini on bones and muscle.   I wish I could say that at least the mental processes have resisted the aging effect.  However, daily evidence to the contrary has destroyed that hope.  I'm left with the old saw which states that age imparts wisdom.  Reflecting on the spectacle of a 70 something pedophile brazenly running for the Senate in Alabama, I can't put to much stock in that nostrum.   Optimistically, I hope to continue in reasonably good health, enjoy the love of a very good woman, continue to enjoy work and play and watch the younger generations of the family grow and thrive.  That is my birthday wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment