Thursday, August 7, 2014

Farmers' Markets

My favorite food columnist, Marc Bittman had a piece about farmers' markets the other day which caught my eye.   While praising the efforts of growers to make local, high quality food available to the masses, he then proceeds to name various exotica he acquired at markets around the country.  I only see the small market in Plattsburgh each Saturday and I can tell you, my offerings of bok choy are probably the most exotic thing the natives are likely to see as far as produce is concerned.  The shoppers who buy in our market are mostly well meaning people, but I doubt they would be willing to part with extra cash to keep growers in business.  For the most part, farmers' markets are more a labor of love than a get rich quick scheme.  I am reminded of this each week after devoting 90% of my free daylight hours to growing and probably making less than minimum wage after deducting the cost of fuel, seed and fertilizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment