Wednesday, March 16, 2022

How they stopped worrying and loved the bomb

         As a child of the Cold War, I practiced the "duck and cover" drills at St. John the Evangelist.  I was secure in the knowledge that somehow cowering under my desk would deliver me from atomic destruction at the hands of the perfidious Russkies.

       Our present public opinion seems perilously close to endorsing a worldwide holocaust as the proper response to Putin's invasion of Ukraine.  Generations have been brought up to discount nuclear war as something that is simply not possible.   However, mix together a volatile situation, an increasingly unhinged dictator with nuclear weapons and a sympathetic underdog and somehow the prospect of global annihilation seems possible.   Please wake me up when this is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment