Thursday, June 29, 2023

Witnessing perfection

         I don't normally watch the Yankees play on the west coast.   The games usually start after my bedtime and in recent years the games have been 4 hour affairs which the yanks manage to lose anyway.  However, last night I decided to watch at least a few innings before bed.   Starting in the third inning, I sensed something special was going to happen when the yanks' journeyman pitcher, Domingo German, effortlessly retired the first nine men he faced.

       After a home run gave the visitors a 1-0 lead, I continued to watch in fascination as German continued to set down the home team in order.   By the eighth inning I was spellbound as it became apparent he had a chance to pitch the 24th perfect game in MLB history.   Never having seen a perfect game in its entirety, I hung with the telecast until German joined 23 other men to pitch the elusive perfect game.   While German may never be a HOF caliber pitcher, no one can take away last night's history making performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment