Monday, May 22, 2023

Too Much, Too Soon?

      I am an aging baby boomer who has sympathized with the progressive movement since my college days in the early 70's.  I have supported anti-war movements,  civil rights up to and including Black Lives Matter and the rights of people to marry whomever they love.   Now comes transgender rights and while I again support the idea of transgender people to live their own lives as they see fit, I am wondering if society is suffering from LGBTQ overload.  

     The reaction by many state legislatures to restrict transgender rights is symptomatic of  a society which is reeling from a civil rights whiplash.   It's unfashionable in progressive circles to ease off when it comes to the demands of folks to refer to transgender people by pronouns that have to be guessed sometimes.  I guess being brought up in a binary society it is difficult for many of us to adjust to gender fluidity.  Time will tell if we are ready as a society to accept a man, woman, transgender social alignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment