Thursday, August 10, 2023

Another legend passes

       Robbie Robertson has left this mortal coil.   The lead singer and writer (some say) of many of the Band's iconic songs died at the age of 80.  I was never a huge fan of the group.  A good friend who knew Levon Helm, the drummer and lone American in the group said Helm felt Robertson hogged much of the credit for songwriting many of the Band's hits.  This soured me on Robertson, who may have offered a different story.    Regardless, Robertson and company put out a number of evocative songs that still have me singing along when I hear them.  The Weight, Up on Cripple Creek and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down come to mind.   Besides, it's hard to work up any animus to a man with the same first name as me!  RIP, Robbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment